Police in Las Vegas have reopened a rape investigation into Cristiano Ronaldo after his accuser claimed she was breaking a non-disclosure agreement.
Kathryn Mayorga, a former model, claims the footballer raped her in a hotel penthouse suite in the city in 2009. Ronaldo has denied the allegation.
Ms Mayorga, 34, who lives in Las Vegas, is now suing Ronaldo to void a $375,000 settlement she alleges she was coerced into signing to keep quiet.
The lawsuit, which details her claim that the Juventus player attacked her in June 2009, was filed in a 32-page complaint filed in Clark County District Court, Nevada.
Ms Mayorga’s lawsuit states she reported the alleged assault to the Las Vegas police the same day and underwent an examination at a local hospital.
The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said it had responded to a call alleging a sexual assault on June 13, 2009 and confirmed it has now reopened the case.
When Ms Mayorga’s allegations came to light last week Ronaldo dismissed the reports as “fake news” during a live chat on Instagram.
“What they said today, fake – fake news,” the 33-year-old star of the Portuguese national football team said in a post that was later deleted.
The complaint was first reported by the German magazine Der Spiegel. Lawyers for Ronaldo have threatened to sue the magazine over the story.
The footballer who moved to Juventus this year in an interview with Der Spiegel, Ms Mayorga said she was inspired to come forward in part by the #MeToo movement.
In a statement, Ronaldo’s representatives said: “The reporting in Spiegel is blatantly illegal. It violates the personal rights of our client Cristiano Ronaldo in an exceptionally serious way.
“This is an inadmissible reporting of suspicions in the area of privacy.”
Ms Mayorga’s lawsuit states that she met Ronaldo, then 24, at Rain night club in Las Vegas and he later invited her and others back to his penthouse suite.
The lawsuit claims Ronaldo offered to give Ms Mayorga a change of clothes so that she could get into a hot tub and she went to a bathroom to change.
It goes on to state that while she was in the bathroom the footballer exposed himself and asked her to perform a sex act on him. He then pulled her into a bedroom and raped her as she screamed “no, no, no,” it said.
“When Cristiano Ronaldo completed the sexual assault of the plaintiff, he allowed her to leave the bedroom stating he was sorry, he was usually a gentleman,” the lawsuit states.
The footballer has dismissed the claims as ‘fake news’
The footballer has dismissed the claims as ‘fake news’ CREDIT: AFP
The lawsuit goes on to claim that “within weeks” of her initial report to police, “she identified Cristiano Ronaldo as the individual who sexually assaulted her” during an interview with a detective who warned her she would be the “subject of public humiliation”.
In a statement to The Telegraph, the police department stated: “The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department responded to a call of a sexual assault on June 13, 2009.
“At the time the report was taken, the victim did not provide detectives with the location of the incident or suspect description. A medical exam was conducted.
“As of September 2018, the case has been reopened and our detectives are following up on information being provided by the victim.”
In her lawsuit, Ms Mayorga also claims she was pressured into signing a non-disclosure agreement to keep the alleged rape secret and is seeking more than $200,000 in damages.
The suit names Ronaldo as a defendant along with an unnamed team of “fixers” described as “personal reputation protection specialists” hired to investigate Ms Mayorga and delay public disclosure.
Ronaldo is a five-time winner of Fifa’s men’s player of the year award. The Portuguese striker, who is a father of four, left Real Madrid this year to join Juventus for 100 million euros (£88.7m).
The footballer’s representatives said they had no further comment following the reopening of the case by Las Vegas police.